Wi Fi Mobile Inglese

In Evidence

The Church of the Trinity

Right in front of the Castello Aragonese, there lies the church SS. Trinità which was built around 1750 and was part of the convent of Saint Francis of Assisi.  It is known as, La Chiesa Nuova, and is recognized by the façade of red colored bricks. It is now located on the actual corso Garibaldi.
The church was built from a legacy left in 1702 by the baron Felici Pellegrini, whose brother Marziale was the head of the order of Franiscan monks.  The church took a long time to be  built as the Pellegrini family was reduced to poverty.  When in  1809 the Franciscan convent was confiscated the building was still unfinished, only the main section with the two lateral wings of the sacristy and the chapel of the Sacred Heart had been completed.  In 1816 the church was amalgamated with the secular clergy who decided to finally complete the building to bequeath to the parish a new church. The reason being was that the Santa Maria del Castello, San Pietro la Cattolica and San Giuliano were located quite a distance away. The old church of San Pietro was demolished and the materials were reused in the new construction during the first half of the 1800’s.  Even so building work progressed slowly due to a lack of funds. The unification of the clergy of Castrovillari accelerated the works and the church was inaugurated on Palm Sunday, 1852.  However some works were left incomplete and the provisional wooden dome and the  un plastered façade still remain.
The interior of the church is somewhat  bare, however  there are works of art in mother of pearl, taken from suppressed monasteries  and the main alter comes from the convent of the Cappuccini.  The stucco was carried out by Vincenzo Forte of  Calvanico in 1860. The Choir was built around the end of the last century in a heavy iron structure which is supported by columns of  cast iron. The church holds many works of art,  one  of which is  La SS. Trinità by  Raffaele Aloisio, (a Calabrian painter),which was donated by the local gentry.  The church is the resting place of Colonel Guiseppe Pace’s remains.  The church archives are found in the vestry and here the  walls are covered in precious material embroidered in gold thread, dating  from the 1800’s.


09 November 2015 17:57:35

  Elenco Notizie




Regione CalabriaRegione Calabria

2015

ATTRAVERSANDO NATURA

Operation financed by the Calabria Region as part of the POR Calabria FESR 2007/2013
PISL - Integrated Local Development Projects - Line of Action 5.1.1.1
Realized by Rubrik Srl

Torna su